1. Introduction: How To Start a Blog
Starting a blog is an exciting endeavor allowing you to reach places you could not even imagine when you first started out. So many success stories showcase bloggers who have become adventure travelers exploring the world to earn for a living, all the while achieving their dreams of becoming internationally famous, or turning around their career and being able to turn their passion into a daily job that they truly love.
If you are one of those interested in starting a blog and exploring opportunities it might open for you, this ebook is a helpful resource to guide you through the process of planning the blog, choosing the platforms, designing a blog, publishing and optimizing content, and eventually promoting your blog. This is a practical guide with lots of examples and screenshots that will help you to easily apply best practices to your own blog.
Blogging offers a lot of benefits and possibilities to integrate a blog into a business strategy and to earn profit from it. To explore the topic of blogging in more details, please visit emarketinginstitute.org, where you will find an ebook about blogging.
For a better understanding of the process of starting a blog, it is helpful to have some basic knowledge of online marketing. In essence, a blog is a part of online marketing strategy, and it is connected to other segments of online presence, such as search engine optimization, social media marketing, email marketing, etc.
The success of your blog will largely depend on the content you create and publish on your blog. However, integration of blogging into an online presence or business strategy is another aspect that has a massive impact on your likelihood to succeed as a blogger. For example, an outstanding article will hardly reach any online users if you do not know how to optimize it and enable search engines to discover and index it first.
This means that you need to think beyond content creation when starting a blog. You need to think about:
- How you will present the content
- Who your readers are
- How to reach online readers
- What tools you will need to optimize your blog
- How and why you need to integrate social networks
- How to monitor visits and leverage the statistics
The goal of this ebook is to answer all of these questions and go a step further. Once you finish reading, you will have a detailed plan on how to start and which path to take. Your approach will be organized and structured, which all help you implement your strategy and get good results.
To start a blog, you will need:
- A computer
- Internet connection
- A great idea
- Budget (Optional)
The reason why the budget is optional is the fact that you really can start a blog with no budget at all. It is possible to start your blog even today without spending a dime. Still, you will soon find out that there are things worth investing in. As you go through the following chapters, you will soon discover when it is recommended to go for a paid option, even if the free one exists.
Blogging statistics worth knowing
The goal of the following statistics is to illustrate the state of blogging nowadays, what successful blogs do right, and why blogging is such an important part of doing business online.
- Featuring a blog as a key part of your website will give you a 434% better chance of being ranked highly on search engines. (Tech Client)
- Companies that published 16+ blog posts per month got almost 3.5X more traffic than companies that published 0-4 monthly posts. (HubSpot)
- There is over 4 million blog posts written each day. (InternetLiveStats)
- Small businesses with blogs generate 126% more leads. (Tech Client)
- Websites with blogs have 97% more indexed links. (Tech Client)
- Social media is the most popular channel for promotion of content. Over 95% bloggers share their content on social media. SEO follows with 64%, email marketing with 58% and influencer outreach 25%. (OrbitMedia)
- It is noticeable that there is almost a 5x increase in paid content promotion in 2017 since 2014. (OrbitMedia)
- Almost two-thirds of bloggers pay attention to SEO. (OrbitMedia)
- 42% of bloggers who always check blog analytics report “strong results”.
- 1142 words is the average length of a typical blog post. (OrbitMedia)
- Titles with 6-13 words attract the highest and most consistent amount of traffic. (HubSpot)
- 55% of bloggers update articles at least sometimes. (OrbitMedia)
- 45% of marketers say blogging is their #1 most important content strategy. (Social Media Examiner)
- Compounding blog posts make up 10% of all blog posts and generate 38% of overall traffic. (HubSpot)
When you look at the statistics above, it is possible to conclude the following:
- Blogging is an important part of content marketing strategy.
- Companies that blog report better results (in terms of traffic increase, lead generation, sales, etc.)
- Social media is the most popular channel for promoting blog content. Other channels you should use include: SEO, email marketing, influencer outreach and paid promotion.
Overall, blogging represents the core of forming an online presence. It helps you establish your presence, connect with the online users and promote what you want, regardless if that is an opinion, a product, a digital product, or service. A blog is an outlet to present a business strategy or to simply present yourself as a blogger or influencer. Since it is a completely self-managed presence, it gives you an opportunity to customize the appearance and highlight what you need. All of this is done in order to help you achieve your blogging goals.